Sunday, June 17, 2012

Struggles




Talking to patients has always been a problem because of the language and cultural barrier. This is why I liked it when I was able to speak to the French patient; I was able to relate to his experiences in India. And then yesterday, I spoke to a patient who is originally from India but has done his studies at NYU. So both of us have studied in New York and lived there for a while. It was much easier for me to build a rapport with him. I was also able to make him trust me, which made him and me more comfortable talking. I knew what questions to ask and what kind of conversations to have. Since he felt increasingly comfortable, he opened up not only about himself but also about his illness and symptoms. Unfortunately for me but luckily for them, the French patient and the New York patient were discharged only a few days later after I started talking to them. I feel like every time I am starting to build good relationship with patients, things get disrupted. But obviously I am glad that they were discharged and stated to feel better.

Yesterday I slept over at my friend's house. I obviously couldn't sleep because it was a new place and it usually takes me forever to get used to it. So I got up early and started taking pictures... I KNOW I AM WEIRD. Those are the pictures that came out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment