Thursday, July 12, 2012

Art Therapy Continued

Today, I decided to share my painting with you. As I said last time, I painted a person in the rain. Even though the person is a male, he is symbolizing me and my "male" attributes. The male attributes would be my dominant personality, my anger issues and my assertiveness. I drew myself under the umbrella, creating a separate, isolated space for myself in which I can be me and do what I want. According to the picture I painted, I am very protective about my space and I only let selected people in that I want to have in. But when people come closer who I don't want to be closer with, I will not look down upon them; instead I will kindly let them know that they are not the person who I want to be close with.

I really tried to make the painting difficult accessible when I was making it. I wanted to challenge the therapist. However, the therapist tackled the conclusion down within a few seconds. First, I had to think a little over the analysis but when I am honest to myself then this is pretty much who I am.

After this experience, I came to the realization that art can really be used as a starting point for therapy. It gives the therapist a tool to get into the deeper level of the patient. I had no intention to open up myself in front of the therapist and tell her who I am but I did, unknowingly.

The therapist pointed out to us that we as therapists do nothing else but introduce the clients to themselves through the paintings. Sometimes people get too caught up with a million other things in their lives and fail to see who they are.   

No comments:

Post a Comment