Thursday, May 31, 2012

Best Day Thus Far


This far today was my best day. The girls that I am interning with are awesome. I really liked them from the first day on. Even though they all came from the same school and all know each other, they have all included me into their circle immediately. Today, after we were done with the internship by 4.30 pm, we went to the main market, shopped around and then went for some coffee. It was fun and it was awesome to be there with them. They could tell me about the market, about its history, about the people who shop there and so on. All this, no other tourist could have told me. We ate things I have never eaten before, I have bought things I have never owned before, I went to a coffee shop that was full of local people; this is why I simply loved it.
And the most important thing to mention is that the girls are from a college that is the only in India that is psychodynamic ally based. They said that the platform of their teaching is Freud and Marx. Obviously they also learn other perspectives but this is what they are focusing on for their masters. They are concerned about the same things I am. For example, most of the patients who come in are only there for a couple of minutes and simply get medication prescribed based on a view sentences that they say. They are not referred for therapy or asked any further questions. I know that I am totally simplifying this procedure and the system in the hospital is much more complicated than this but the basic of it is clear and at least we should question it and the girls do.
Since I was really interested in meditation and yoga as a therapy, I also talked to the girls about that and what they think about it. One of the girls said that while in western countries yoga and meditation are becoming increasingly more prevalent, India seems to be losing those values. Today, the people who are practicing yoga and meditation is mostly the older generation, it is not cool for younger people to do that. I found that interesting to hear, because it seems as if yoga and meditation is becoming so big in western countries because it is considered to be cool in particular by the younger generation. However, yoga and meditation is still practiced every day at the day care section in VIMHANS where I am currently placed at. Every morning the patients are doing Yoga and meditation; not as a form of therapy but as an activity. But the hospital also has a separate section that is called body and mind center where they use meditation and yoga as a form of therapy and I will hopefully check that out soon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment